SeaLink Magnetic Island Passenger Ferry Service Timetable changes as of
Sunday 5th April 2020
SeaLink have worked closely with TransLink to develop an essential service timetable and SeaLink acknowledges the support of the Queensland Government in maintaining ferry services to and from Magnetic Island.
Effective from Sunday 5th April 2020, SeaLink will operate a reduced timetable between Townsville and Magnetic Island as follows:
- 7 return services from Monday to Saturday
- 6 return services on a Sunday
This timetable commences Sunday 5th of April 2020 and will be in place until further notice.
The new timetable is in response COVID-19 crisis and is designed to best meet the Government’s criteria of essential travel, whilst also in response to the advice that non-essential travel should be reconsidered at this time.
Essential travel to and from Magnetic Island includes commuting to work, medical reasons, education, grocery shopping by residents, compassionate reasons, and to deliver essential services and supplies. SeaLink will ask each person wishing to travel their purpose of travel and only essential travel is to be undertaken.
Non-essential travel is travel that does not meet the essential criteria above and includes for leisure purposes (e.g. holidays). Please refer to all other Non-essential activities as listed under the current advice by the Queensland Government regarding the laws for home confinement, movement and gatherings.
The timetable was designed to best meet the criteria of essential travels needs for the community during this difficult time.
In response to Government restrictions and recommendations, other changes include:
- Reduced hours of operations at the Breakwater Terminal The Breakwater terminal will be open from 7:45am to 1:15pm and 4pm to 6pm. These hours will be under constant review by the business and we will advise you when changes occur.
- Closure of the Nelly Bay Ticket Desk To purchase your tickets for travel to the mainland please pay on board. The vessels will be accepting card only transactions.
- Card Only Payment To limit the risks to our customers and staff we are implementing card only payments for any transactions of goods in the Breakwater Terminal and on board the vessels. Ticket purchases where possible can be done online.
- Freight will be required to be pre-paid where possible and will only accept card payment. For freight ex. Townsville please deliver to the Breakwater Terminal during opening hours 7:45am to 1:15pm and 4pm to 6pm. The person receiving the freight must meet the service this is sent on as it arrives to Nelly Bay. Freight can be collected and if required paid for on-board Freight ex. Magnetic Island must be delivered to the boat 10 minutes prior to departure. Freight can be collected by the receiver from the Breakwater Terminal (Townsville) during opening hours. Please call our Terminal team during office hours on 4726 0800 to learn more on this temporary process for freight.
- Our staff. Please be patient and considerate towards our loyal and hardworking staff during this difficult time as each member of our team has been affected by this crisis.
Please note: The National Cabinet has agreed that public transport services (trains, trams, buses, ferries) are essential and therefore exempt from the travel and social gathering restrictions at this time.However, wherever possible everyone should adhere to the latest directions given by the Queensland Government on home confinement, movement and gatherings.
Once again, our staff at SeaLink North Queensland would like to thank the communities of Magnetic Island and Townsville for your patience, understanding, and support given to our staff during this very difficult time.
SeaLink North Queensland is working to continue delivering essential passenger services. We are taking the necessary actions needed to stop the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
There are currently no disruptions to the SeaLink Magnetic Island Ferry Service, SeaLink is taking a range of measures to ensure the safety of passengers and our staff and we ask our passengers to assist us. Please click here to view our travel information and what SeaLink is doing to minimise the risk of COVID-19.
We appreciate your cooperation, understanding and continued support during these difficult times.